Cracked lintel and lining fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Two questions regarding a fireplace/hearth renovation. Firstly, upon removing blown plaster we found this cracked lintel above the fireplace (1950's semi) where the Rayburn used to live. It's 160mm high x 70mm wide x 1400mm long, bricks above it are all intact but several sound slightly loose when you tap them (best described as a dull thud rather than a nice ring) and there were some cracks in the plaster. I'd prefer to leave this lintel in place but wondered if it's sensible to install another one a few bricks below it as a backup? We have plenty height available and I figured it would also make installing the register plate easier?

Second question, the hearth is not quite square/symmetrical to an annoying degree. I'm planning to line it with Hardiebacker/similar board (I'm no good at rendering/plastering), what's the easiest way to add about 20mm thickness to one side of the hearth and 0-40mm over the width of the hearth (1m)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Cracked lintel.jpg
    Cracked lintel.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 235
Sponsored Links
whats your purpose in doin this work? do you want to instal a burner of some kind?
if you posted photos of the whole fire opening an hearth an the whole chimney breast it would help?
have you looked at your chimney stack an flue terminal on the roof yet?

whats your purpose in doin this work? do you want to instal a burner of some kind?
if you posted photos of the whole fire opening an hearth an the whole chimney breast it would help?
have you looked at your chimney stack an flue terminal on the roof yet?

Sorry should have said, we're putting a woodburner in. I'll take a picture of the full chimney breast and post this later. Chimney stack looks OK in the loft and bedroom, bit difficult to tell what it's like on the roof. There was a Rayburn (solid fuel) in the opening before so it's a working flue.

Sponsored Links
working flue yeah but only a smoke test will tell you if its a safe flue.
a woodburner might need a partclar flue terminal.
until youve selected a burner an have the instal dimensions you wont now how high an wide the fireplace opening has to be - so its more than likely the cracked lintel will have to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back