1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cracked paint prior to skimming

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by GARYF123, 18 Mar 2021.

1. GARYF123

GARYF123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi everybody, new to forum. Not a plasterer but work in property maintenance and do the odd patch job but sometimes prepare ready for guy to skim when needed. I have a problem at home. I am trying to get hall, stairs and landing decorated and getting skimmed first. The walls were painted years ago with White matt emulsion. The paint has cracked and blistered badly due to paste residue on the wall i think. I am wanting some advice on preparing it prior to getting someone in. I will try to attach some photos.
    I have tried a orbital sander but it doesn't seem to shift the cracking paint. I was wondering if i could just scrape the raised areas then prime with maybe Gardz (i think that is what it is called) or something similar?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Gary.

Attached Files:

• abc.jpg
      abc.jpg
      File size:
      228.7 KB
      Views:
    • def.jpg
      def.jpg
      File size:
      306.7 KB
      Views:
    • ghi.jpg
      ghi.jpg
      File size:
      141.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. daggermark

daggermark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've had loads of problems with this in the past. Some walls I scraped everything off as best I could then got it skimmed without any further prep other than PVA. Some walls I managed to salvage by scraping, making flat with easifill and then gardz on the whole wall to give it a uniform seal.

If you have any walls that are end walls e.g. no doors/windows on them, you might want to just overboard them with plasterboard and save a ton of hassle.

4. GARYF123

GARYF123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, thanks for reply. I have 6 doors and 1 window so overboarding is a no no!
    I have sent pics of worst areas to be fair, the majority is very fine cracking but stable. Tried sanding but wouldn’t do anything to cracking, just sanded whole area smooth if you know what I mean. I will continue to scrape the bad bits back and maybe Garda the whole lot then ova and skim the next day hopefully!