cracked tiles + outside wall is cracked too

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope someone can offer some advice.

We had an extension built 13 years ago, by decent builders who met building regs.
There is a bathroom in the extension.
The shower area is in a corner and both walls can be seen from the exterior of the property

Over the last 6 months we've noticed cracks in the tiles and you can now see they are coming away from the wall (protuding outwards, ie not flat)

Initially this was seen on the shower side but not the other side of the shower corner wall also shows signs of cracking/tiles protuding out.

I inspected the exterier walls and call see small cracks 1-2mm in the rough area where the cracks in the tiles are.

Unfortunately we are unsure when the exterier cracks became visibile.

We are going to have to re-tile the shower area (maybe use a shower panel instead as matching tiles are unavailable).

My concern is that if there's movement on the outside this will again affect the tiles once it's been re-done.

What should i consider, ask, do?!

many thanks

Sponsored Links
What are the wall substrates made off...exterior??

Block and brick
Timber stud and facing brick
Brick and brick
Block and block....ect ect
Is there render/pebble dash on this exterior wall...where cracks are..

Is there a cavity ect...

Could be lots off things causing your tiles to..tent...mainly water penetration

Outside as well water penetration in render/pebble dash..outside is the cracking around or running down to a window and is their an exspansion strip in the render/pebble dash?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back