Cracking and wrinkling paint finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,this is my very first post(be kind)and i am thinking about starting my own business,but i have been put off by a recent job that i done(not that good)i have never had this prob EVER.
I was asked to paint outside of a house,all new woodwork,which i know was pine panels,like channel lining stuff,anyway it was painted with a preservitive before i arrived,by the joiner,and i thought easy job,how wrong.
I then painted with a leyland undercoat(oil based)and got the correct topcoat,gloss paint.
The undercoat went on ok,and so did the topcoat untill the next day,it was cracked and wrinkled,what an emmbarresment,for me.
I can only think of 1 possible problem,the night time tempature being too cold,i would be gratefull for any thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
Could be the frost or...could be that you applied the gloss, over the undercoat, before it was dry because of the cold weather.
Tis a common cause of wrinkling.

Not priming it may have caused the problem..plus Leyland undercoat is normally very thick...if the weather was cold and you glossed it too soon the movement in the undercoat as it dried may have caused the top coat to crack.

Sponsored Links
Not priming it may have caused the problem..plus Leyland undercoat is normally very thick...if the weather was cold and you glossed it too soon the movement in the undercoat as it dried may have caused the top coat to crack.
Thanks for the replys,this a great forum,and your answers have been helpfull to me,i have a lot to learn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back