Cracking up - me and the plaster...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening - my house and I are cracking up (literally)

The house was built in the 1970's and I have lived here for the last 18 months.

I've had an outbreak of cracks in the upstairs ceiling which run the length of the roof and clearly follow the platerboards. I also have a number of cracks at the top of the walls and some run down to the top of the door frames. Although the damage is minor it looks awful and I just wanted to check a second opinion - I expect the humity change, constant heat due to the current cold snap to be the main culprit.

All the cracks appears on the internal plaster - no sign of any problems on the outer brickwork. Despite some of cracks being quite long none are wider than a fingernail.

Any advice would be grateful received. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I assume these cracks are vertically and horizontally straightish?
If so, sounds like the joints between boards are failing, that's if the joints were every joint/scrim taped.
Ceiling likely down to foot traffic above and sagging of board.
They will require securing back up, all joints taped and best skim the lot.

Sorry I didn't realise you had to click the show the uploaded images - have a butchers for yourself.

Cheers forthe advice.

I think you may have a leak in the loft. You need to get up there and check it out.

Sponsored Links
Why do you think its a leak Jo?

The cracks in the plasterboard ceiling on the top floor on closer inspection look like they have been filled and repainted in the past (not very well).These cracks in the ceiling boards are in several rooms and there is no apperance of leaking water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back