Cracking walls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, really need some help. Our house is 13 years old, and last month we noticed that some of the walls on the ground and first floor and the kitchen ceiling are cracking, and the tiles in the shower on the first floor too looks like its along where the plasterboard joins are. Just thin hairline cracks but seem to be propagating. No idea why it's just started now. Had a builder round who thought the boards would need resecuring. We're thinking of getting our bathrooms done but no point putting new tiles in if things will move and they will crack again.
Spoke to home insurance who were really rude, despite having premium m and s buildings and contents. They tried to say it was subsidence, which I doubt as it is just interior stud walls. They then said it was normal wear and tear, doubtful as its been fine for 13 years. Last they argued it was due to poor workmanship originally but I'm not sure if this is true cos it's been fine for so long.. Basically I need help as I don't know the best way to sort it, what sort of price it will be, or if anyone has any tips of getting the insurance to pay out since they just want to get out of paying us by coming up with reasons that are specifically excluded. Really grateful for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Well if the house was stable for 13 years and now it's not - something must have changed. Things don't move without a reason.

Could it be that the plasterboard joints haven't been taped or secured properly and if so do any plasterers on here know how big a job it would be (time/money) to fix ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back