cracks around bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Like many people I have cracks around my bay window on the upper floor. It is a 1930's mid terrace.
The left side of the bay appears more or less the same as when we moved in 4.5 years ago. The right side has got worse so I guess it is moving. The cracks on each side run from window sill to skirting. On right side I've peeled off plaster around crack as it was loose. Crack is just over 1cm at widest point in the brick work where bay joins front wall.
I've noticed during heavy rain water pours off roof on to soil at right side of bay window so I think this may be the cause, ground getting softer.
I've unblocked gutter but still happening so I need to rectify this immediately.
Not sure why gutter is overflowing at this point.

My question is, does the bay need underpinning and if so how much could this cost? If I fix the leaky gutter, will the bay stop moving or is it too late?

Also should I notify my insurer or would this cause me more problems, ie I go on a list as a subsided property, difficult to insure and sell etc.

many thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom
s

Sponsored Links
Fix the guttering, as its the most likely cause of the problem.. but you will only know if the bay has stopped moving if you keep an eye on it for the next 6months.. underpinning might be a little extreme and probably last resort.. crack stitching would be my first choice from here.. but still might be best to fix leak, then monitor the crack for a few months to make sure its stopped moving further..

many thanks for sound advice static. fixing leaky gutter is first job.

Thing is we were tarting up the house ready for selling and that's how i found extent of cracking when i peeled back wallpaper.

Moral dilemma is should we patch up and sell? What would most people do in our situation?
If we leave as is I'm guessing we may only be able to sell to cash buyer?

Also would you inform your insurer at this stage?

cheers
s

Sponsored Links
forgot to update. we hired a structural engineer who said the bay had settled over the years and had tilted away from the floor joists upstairs. It was made worse by double glazing that didn't offer as much structural support as original wood windows. As it was historic and no current movement, we had bay brickwork stitched and retied to upstairs floor joists as per engineers drawings by a company called Falcon Construction. they were excellent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back