Cracks below Bay window, subsidence problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am buying a 1930's house in South East London, the RICS building survey report says below:

"There is further cracking below the sill to the front bay window and there is evidence of movement to the tile creasing sill detail. Again, an inspection of the brickwork was not possible given the roughcast render. However, this cracking also appears to be structural albeit this is of a slightly different nature. The pattern of the cracking again is through 35 degrees and is more suggestive of some movement to the bay window. The suggestion from the cracking is that the bay has potentially moved down to the left hand side and has partially subsided."

I understand that cracks around Bay window are not uncommon due to shallow foundations. I am not too worried about the crack above, but the cracks under the window extends all the way to the bottom which is worrying.

I have also got a quote from a builder who suggested that the cracks are related to the brickworks not just the render. As the stamp duty stamp is near, we have no time to appoint a structural engineer to look at this. Even we can get hold of a SE, I doubt the vendor will allow us to open up the render to investigate the problem.
I have attached the photo, can anyone advise whether the cracks are common and fixable, and will not affect future resale? I am about to ask for a price reduction, but if it is real subsidence, I might have to walk away.

Attachments

• bay window 1.jpg
    bay window 1.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 368
Sponsored Links
Understand this is a old post.. But how did it go ? Did you purchase the property ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back