cracks in bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

I am thinking of buying a 1940/1950's semi house with curved bay windows both upstairs and down and the front.

There are cracks on the front of the house between both bay windows the are visibly showing through the render (I can also see this on neighbouring properties) and there are also cracks on the inside of the house by the corner where the bay joins the house both updstairs and downstairs. Downstairs there is also a crack close to the ceiling which run the lenght of the room. I am guessing this is related to the bay window problem.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions what this could be caused by? The house has not been maintained for a long time could it be down to historical movement? How big a problem is this to rectify.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most likely differential movement and extremely common with early bay designs.

It probably has a lot to do with inferior foundations attributed to the bay causing differential settlement issues between the bay and the stronger foundations in the main house.

Chase out the cracks to about a foot each side of the crack, repair any broken bricks, point the crack then fix e.m.l. and re-render.

I have been on roofs replacing lead lined guttering and looked down the rest of the terrace that has bays in it and it resembles a roller coaster. Its as noseall has said an early design flaw I would not worry to much you can get stitching kits for the brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back