Cracks in Artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house that has had previous subsidence. A number of the artex walls and ceilings have developed hairline cracks along the joins in plasterboard . I'm not bothered about the cosmetics as will deal with in the fullness of time but worried about safety with kids in the house, that the cracks will give off artex asbestos fibres. Is it safe as is? And, for peace of mind I wanted to coat the crack with some zinsser sealer and fill it with calk. Would this be advisable? One of the rooms it is in will be my newborns bedroom so want it totally safe

Sponsored Links
When was house built?

After 1990 it's probably safe (definitely imo) but tests are so cheap why not play it safe.
Can't really fill artex cracks other than filler and emulsion mix and brush in cracks.

House originally built 1900, extended about 1985 so I'm assuming that's when it was artexed.

It's more about making safe than dealing with it.

Sponsored Links
Cracks are often the edge of a paper tape lifting. Flick with finger nail and you can hear its not solid. You can also see a very straight split as it follows edge of tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back