cracks in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone can offer me some (more) advice on how to deal with cracks on a recently skimmed wall. I'm thinking of using heavy lining paper on the assumption that it will strengthen the plaster but just wondered whether there was a better way of dealing with hairline cracks. Thanks in advance.

Gustav

Sponsored Links
Is it a studded wall gustav or a solid one?

It's a solid wall - but we skimmed over old bonding. I suspect that cracks from the old bonding are reappearing on the surface. It does sound slightly hollow when I tap around the cracks. Is there anything that I can do? Thanks for your help again Zampa.

If the cracks run in all different direction and are very thin then id leave then alone and try to get away with just a good couple of solid coats of pait...raking them out and filling them will leave scars on the wall which will look worse than the cracks.

If they are sizable then I would line the wall, because if there is an adhesion problem with the plaster then they will aways come back, maybe not in the same place but somewhere else.

600 grade lining should do or 800.

The real solution is to hack it all off and re do it..messy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I've already started to put some filler into the cracks and will sand and line with paper in the next day or so.

Gustav said:
Thanks - I've already started to put some filler into the cracks and will sand and line with paper in the next day or so.[/quote

Yep you will need to line even if the cracks sand down ok because of the difference in the surfaces...go for the lower grade one 600.....less of a bumpy surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back