Cracks in render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had work done on our house which included a full re-render of the property as required by planning. The render was completed in January and since then we have been in dispute with the builder over the cracks that have appeared in several sections of render. These cracks aren't small, they are large mosaic types. He said that this was because we hadn't painted the render. Other plasterers and builders have told us this is unlikely and that in their opinions the cracking is caused by the new render not bonding possibly because it was allowed to dry out too quickly or because in the affected sections the builder has rendered on top of 30 year-old render.

The builders latest statement is: "we did recommend the sand cement base be primed and painted after the drying out period of 28 days in line with the Render association guidelines for the product. Cracks often appear if the render is not ‘stabilised’ in this way cannot take responsibility for the maintenance of the render as this was outside our duty of contract."

This is the first time he has mentioned this to us. Does anyone have any thoughts on what we can do to get the builder whom we thought we had a good relationship with and who we paid on time and in full.

Sponsored Links
Is the render hollow behind the cracks? sounds as though it has dried out too quick..insufficient prep.

Never heard of the painting story, sounds like a get out.

There's no need to paint render. It is a finished surface.

A load of nonsense as Joe and Alastair have said. Never heard of render failing/cracking because it hasn't been painted. As Joe said, render is a finished surface. It can be painted, if you choose to paint it, but the builder is fobbing you off big time by blaming you for the problems. Get a second opinion from a reputable local builder, and if you still get no joy, then get in touch with trading standards for some advice.

Sponsored Links
alastairreid wrote Is the render hollow behind the cracks?

Yes it is. When you knock it with your knuckles it rings hollow. There are also some sections where the plaster is flaking off. Someone who saw it said it looked like it had been allowed to dry too quickly and water has been thrown on to it - hence the flaking. Just a theory I must add.

If it sounds hollow, then it needs to be removed, then once you start taking it off, it'll probably all need to be taken off. Get the builder back!!

Bad prep. The substrate has sucked the water out of the render before it set (chemically). The whole lot will need removing.

If he won't play ball - small claims court beckons.

I have seen a situation like this before (I think I put a post up about it a long time ago) ,but the float coat came off in sheets and left the scratch coat on .There was no waterproofer in the scratch and it wasn't soaked long enough before the lads threw the top coat on, hence it dried out to quickly and didn't adhere to the scratch and blew off. I watched 3 lots of plasterers have a go before they got it right. It's a long story.......

Cheers mucka's I'm not much of a pub man now but I do like a drink and am finishing off a bottle of wine now :LOL: Here's to you two..Cheers ;)

Thanks for that Roy, you're a star,,, i'm not a pub person either, As a matter of fact, Mrs Rough is just making a nice cup of tea, so i'll toast to you and yours with that,,, cheers Roy. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back