crazing in my new render, how has this happened...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
my builder has just rendered my new exstention and the next day there was lots of hairline cracks all over it.. is this a problem and what should i do. should i suggest he starts again..

thanks for any help
zac

Sponsored Links
yes he should! does it look like crazy paving type cracks?

if so it's possibly from shrinkage, either he had a poor quality sand meaning he needed too much water in the mix allowing a lot of shrinkage when it evaporated and dried out.

or he could have used too much cement.

either way it's a bad job and should be done again, there're no excuses for it IMO.

Sponsored Links
Probably dried out too quickly as well,(weather/high suction),,, plus he might have rendered it out in one coat,,, without putting on a scratch coat first.
This is what happened to our friend WabbitPoo on his job,,,, read the link below,,, (with pics). If it's crazed, then get it all removed and done again.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=239147

If it was a block extension he should have hosed it first. The blocks will suck out the water faster than Gillian Taylforth. :LOL:

thanks for your help on this matter, he did put a scratch coat on so part of the job done as it should. and no i have not paid him.. so still in the driving seat..

cheers to you all

zac

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back