Crazy idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Mrs wants the TV on the chimney breast but cant decide where she wants the virgin box etc, we were initially going to get a more up to date gas fire and surround but as we've never used it I said lets just take it out.

My next thought was could we make the hole in the wall where the fire was slightly bigger so we could fit a shelf and put the virgin box in there?

The problem is if the hole is to small could I create a slightly bigger hole without making the chimney breast unstable?

Depends how wide the breast is and deep I guess, so

320mm deep
1180mm wide

Fire is 350mm wide and the virgin box is about 380mm wide 290mm deep

Sponsored Links
Best way to check is to knock off the plaster around the old gas fire / back boiler (assuming you've had it taken out) and see if there was originally a wider opening that has subsequently been "filled in" to create a narrower opening for gas fires.

I havent taken it out just yet, but if I need to widen the hole, theoretically could I or would the breast become unstable?

Rip the lot out and you will be left with a builders fireplace opening 600 wide 450 deep and 750 high.
Rattle a bit of ply under the flue to stop any soot coming down, float and set exposed brickwork, screed hearth if required, run a bit of skirt round and fit shelf.
All based on the assumption that your virgin is no fatter than 450. :D :D
oldun

Sponsored Links
Thanks, the house was built in the 1950's so would that make any difference to your expectations of the size?

Not sure if the depth is as much as 450mm as the side of the breast is just 320mm, my virgin is 290mm deep but if I had 450mm the surround sound could fit there as well :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back