Creaking Bath when in Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an electric shower over our bath and we have recently noticed that there is a creaking noise in shower, the base of the bath seems to be giving more than it used too. Never used to happen so am puzzled but imaging that if I don't do something the bath could end up cracking.

I can see legs under the shower which seem to be adjustable. Do these need tightening up and if so, should I do this with the bath full of water, or is there a procedure to follow?

Sponsored Links
BathDIY, good evening.

OK the "fill the bath" is OK but? can i suggest that the "load" in the bath would need to be dynamic and moving about just a wee bit?

I assume you have the bath panel off?

Get someone to stand in the bath and you will need to see if any of the bath legs are flexing or in some way moving?? i suggest you arm yourself with a bright torch to have a really good look at and get to grips with any possible movement?

Ken.

Hi Ken,

That's good advice thanks Ken I will give that a go.

Justin

If in any doubt about condition of the bath I would seriously look at replacing it. Came across a young lady in A&E a few years back, she'd been standing in the bath, taking a shower, when the bath gave way underneath her, and her feet went through the bottom. She was not only quite badly injured, but also required the assistance of the Fire Service to extract her, (they ended up cutting the bath up to release her legs, as the more she tried to pull her legs free, the tighter she became trapped.)

Bath came as part of a budget suite purchased from Focus DIY, and I believe the Fire Service, after inspecting the bath, felt it was too thin to safely support a persons weight concentrated in one spot.

Sponsored Links
If in any doubt about condition of the bath I would seriously look at replacing it. Came across a young lady in A&E a few years back, she'd been standing in the bath, taking a shower, when the bath gave way underneath her, and her feet went through the bottom. She was not only quite badly injured, but also required the assistance of the Fire Service to extract her, (they ended up cutting the bath up to release her legs, as the more she tried to pull her legs free, the tighter she became trapped.)

Bath came as part of a budget suite purchased from Focus DIY, and I believe the Fire Service, after inspecting the bath, felt it was too thin to safely support a persons weight concentrated in one spot.

Difficult to do as am shielding at present but thanks for the heads up, will fix and get this done was intending to redo the bathroom anyway.

Would shimming /packing the underside of the bath help?
I'm sure that plastic baths used to come with a bit of chipboard or ply glued to the bottom?

I am imagining a piece of ply placed under the shower position and packed underneath with timber to help support the bath. Maybe something like an old mouse mat or two between the ply and bath for a tiny bit of give?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back