Crimps: follow-up from 'very stupid'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See previous:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=838328#838328

Have purchased ratchet crimpers and yellow crimps and have been practising like a mutha.

cable is 6 mm. Using red crims for connecting earth wires.

Question: the crimps are very solid under strain from pulling but give with a click ever so slightly when pushed together. When I say slightly i mean by a gnat's crotchet. Is this a big deal?

Also Tyco's PDF on crimping describes a bend test performed on crimped but unstripped wire. This works fine with the red crimps but not even close on the yellows. What gives? As I said test the practice pieces are shaping up nicely

http://ecommas.tycoelectronics.com/...114-2157DpdfEnglishENG_SS_114-2157_D.pdf

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
are you sure that the tiny movement is not just the metal tubes moving slightly inside the yellow plastic.

are you sure that the tiny movement is not just the metal tubes moving slightly inside the yellow plastic.

Don't think so. Last thing last night I did a loop with three staggered joints and the thing is way tight so i'll eave it. only one end on one of the three does this and its negligble.

Have purchased ratchet crimpers and yellow crimps and have been practising like a mutha.
Have you also purchased heat-shrink tubing?

Getting it this AM.

Thanks be to the forum. Its brlliiant

If its 6mm t&e then the CPC will be 2.5mm and will require blue crimps.

4mm t&e had a 1.5mm conductor which requires red crimps.

If its 6mm t&e then the CPC will be 2.5mm and will require blue crimps.

4mm t&e had a 1.5mm conductor which requires red crimps.

CPC: is this what I would call the earth wire? What does t&e mean?

grrr just got to screwfix in time! to get some blue crimps

when applying shrink tubes do you follow the colour of te wires or the colour of the crimps? Or do you just shrink wrap the whole lot?

also how strong do the crimps have to be?

the next to last practice piece just failed but only after putting my foot into thhe loop i'd made and pulling with both hands.

its a repair and under a floor running between joists . There's plenty of slack in the cable ends so i se no reason why it should come under any abnorma stress.

Crimps are crimped shrunk wrapped and choc boxed. Thanks to everyone for your help on this.

Marko

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back