Crowd funding - Any limits?

Sponsored Links
Hang on. Isn't the fact that I have four different waste bins and am obliged to sort waste accordingly so that we don't use landfill any more? :confused:

I have long had a suspicion that our local councils just dump everything in the same pile once collected and then send it to landfill anyway. :rolleyes:

Hang on. Isn't the fact that I have four different waste bins and am obliged to sort waste accordingly so that we don't use landfill any more? :confused:

I have long had a suspicion that our local councils just dump everything in the same pile once collected and then send it to landfill anyway. :rolleyes:
Further evidence that you don't know what you are talking about.
A hazardous landfill would not take your segregated waste. It would take things like asbestos, and other solid hazardous wastes.

Segregated waste rarely ends up in landfill these days, and so is certainly worthwhile.

Crowd funding may allow us all to to take on those who hide behind massive funds and the shister Lawyers that situation attracts !! Lots of people = lots of funds = lots of Lawyers !!
The instance quoted may seem insignificant, but given time more people may become interested then the funds may flow, we all know the 'legal eagles' will follow the dosh, never mind right or wrong.

-0-

Sponsored Links
A few years back a local authority, Sheffield I think, was found guilty of doing just what that.

Homeowners had different coloured wheelie bins for segregating rubbish but a whistle-blower provided evidence that more than 75% was simply being dumped in landfill. Seem to recall the authority appealed claiming they were not aware what the binmen were doing but they lost the case and were fined hundreds of thousands of pounds.

A hazardous landfill would not take your segregated waste. It would take things like asbestos, and other solid hazardous wastes.

Segregated waste rarely ends up in landfill these days, and so is certainly worthwhile.

Not long ago I read that most green waste was not recycled. Any evidence to support what you say?

BTW our green waste bins are black, and our non green waste bins are green. Simples.

Not long ago I read that most green waste was not recycled. Any evidence to support what you say?

BTW our green waste bins are black, and our non green waste bins are green. Simples.

Well, there's the large incinerators taking large amounts of municipal wastes in Sheffield, Leeds, Huddersfield, Nottingham,......to name a few. Most have recycle factilities attached before they burn what's left. There's the bales of waste (mostly segregated waste) on the dockisde in Hull that I pass regularly, that go to places such as Lativia, or Denmark, there's the segregated waste that goes to China...

Then there's the waste sorting facilities (MRFs) that sort out many recycleables. They operate on the fact that the cardboard/plastics/metals have a value. The fines of which go to a plant near Manchester where they pull out further plastics etc, and the dusts from that go to engineered soil.

There are non-hazardous landfills that still take municipal wastes, but not as many as they used to. There are instances where contaiminated bales of waste plastic or cardboard have to be landfilled, as they are contaminated. But that is in the minority, and some of these can be burnt in an incinerator.

We need more incinerators, but places like here in Hull were stopped by the politics of fear.

Recycling is good, but it can only do so much before the economics and practicalities work against you.

And there are waste that are very difficult to recycle. Such as matresses (bloke with a stanley knife to slice it up), UPVC (nightmare to recycle despite the hype), carpet underlay, to name a few.

Green waste often goes for anaerobic digestion here, but it has to travel to get there. Many places compost it, but household green waste will always have a plastic fraction, so you are limited on what you can do with it. Land remediation is one use for such waste streams after treatment.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back