CU or Isolator switch in garage?

The only thing is I have not been able to find an FCU that is less than 13A for the lights, do they make them?

Sponsored Links
You can change a 13 amp FCU to a 3 amp FCU.

It requires a bit of skill.

You change the fuse from a 13 amp fuse to a 3 amp fuse.

If you know that little about electrical work please employ an electrician.

You can change a 13 amp FCU to a 3 amp FCU.

It requires a bit of skill.

You change the fuse from a 13 amp fuse to a 3 amp fuse.

If you know that little about electrical work please employ an electrician.

This is not a question of how much you know about electricity. It is a question about knowing about the products they sell out there. If I have not used a 3A FCU before, how do I know it will not come with a warning saying "replacing the fuse with one of a lower rating will invalidate the warranty". That is why I come here to ask questions: to help you and people like ban-all-sheds to show how smart you are.

This is not a question of how much you know about electricity. It is a question about knowing about the products they sell out there.
It is a question which displays such a degree of ignorance about electrical accessories, and how they work, and what the standards are etc as to be a very strong indication that you are fundamentally incapable of competently carrying out electrical installation work.

You've got an electrician - please let him do electrical work for you.

Sponsored Links
I wish you'd jumped in and helped protect me from scousespark recently :)
Indeed, per the extensive (albeit slow) recent exchanges about this with scousespark in another thread, that was really the only potential downside of not having a garage CU (apart from fairly vague statements about 'poor design' and/or 'suboptimal' design) he could come up with.
For ref. that is this thread: //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/extending-cooker-feed-notifiable.343254/

how do I know it will not come with a warning saying "replacing the fuse with one of a lower rating will invalidate the warranty".

If you read the small print that comes with many electrical items you will find many say the warranty is only active if the device is installed by a qualified electrician.

We are not "smart" other than many of us are experienced and have seen the results ( damage and injuries ) of work done by people who do not have the necessary knowledge to carry out that work.

This is not a question of how much you know about electricity.

...how do I know it will not come with a warning saying "replacing the fuse with one of a lower rating will invalidate the warranty".
By having sufficent knowlage to be in a possition to be buying the kit in the first place.

IM not one for preventing people dicussing the installation, infact, I think its important that people are able to talk about what they want and what they are asking for from there electrician, if only for there own interest if they wish to know and there electrian is not overly willing to discuss the various options with someone starting with a low level of understanding, which some are not.

However, if you dont know that you can replace the fuse of a fcu with one of the value you require, you should be aware that your practical and or theretical understanding is very low, and adjust your atitude and actions accordingly.

Simularly, you do not have to install four and a half kilowatts of light, if you use a lightswitch that is rated at 20amps...

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back