Cupped floorboards, just ply and Glue down LVT ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, doing the entire downstairs but some parts on the old wooden floorboards are cupped (1960s house). The cupping is permanent and Im happy there is no ongoing humidty/moisture issue. It doesn't look to bad but is visible and feelable.

There were carpets in the house and its been a complete renovation with carpets downstairs removed last as ive been living in it.

I had quotes from 3 flooring companies but none of them saw the cupping downstairs, one of them verbally said (without looking) that the ply over the floorboards would negate the issue. (he mentioned the option of 2 different thicknesses of ply depending on severity)

What are peoples thoughts, real world and technical answers appreciated.

If I sand is there a whole heap of mess, Id prob get someone to do it with a proper machine and vacumn if such a thing exists.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Were there any visible lines in the carpet, following the cupping?

Sanding will be a job and a half, not to mention dust :(

i have previously planned the odd board here and there before fitting carpet, laminate etc. In one room a had planned the whole floor, it didn’t take that long, and hardly Any dust.

Not in the carpet no, though it was patterned with fairly thick underlay. Planing may be an idea if it needs it. Id have to rely on someone else as simply havent got the time, tools or skills/knowledge to it.

A few ways we do it -

sand down / plane high spots then 9mm plywood and feather finish screed on top

6mm or 9mm ply then a fibre smoothing compound at 5mm

Ardex NA screed on floorboards filling in low spots then plywood over

Sponsored Links
A few ways we do it -

sand down / plane high spots then 9mm plywood and feather finish screed on top

6mm or 9mm ply then a fibre smoothing compound at 5mm

Ardex NA screed on floorboards filling in low spots then plywood over
thank you - that gives me enough to do some research and speak further with the installer, much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back