Custom cabinet supplier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking for custom kitchen cabinets 340mm depth (wall and floor units) and width of 58cm (just a shade under the normal width of 600mm).

Can anyone recommend a supplier? Or is it going to be cheaper to get these made up by a carpenter on site?

thanks,
S.

Sponsored Links
A carpenter can whiz his saw along the top, bottom and shelves of a larger cabinet to take a bit off.

It will be easier with an un-assembled cab of dowelled construction (no metal fittings that need to be repositioned)

I know a place that makes cabs to order, but they have a £75 delivery charge, so uneconomic for a single unit. Cost is about £80 per unit (they will charge you for a floor unit and cut it down, as wall units are only 300mm deep

If you have a chippy on site he can add extra dowels and glue to a self-assembly unit and it will probably end up better than a factory-built one.

Incidentally I am making a 350mm deep wall cabinet for the boiler at the moment, using laminated panels, a dowelling jig, and a saw. I am not very good at woodwork so it will take me longer than a pro.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
www.larkandlarks.co.uk do custom cabinets, however they seem kind-of pricey, and they don't do custom sizes on the doors I want, so I'd have to get the doors elsewhere. There are some other manufacturers who do only custom doors. I've reduced the size of old MFI cabinets re-drilling out the dowels and holes for the metal twist fastenings but it never seems to look as good as from the factory.

The units are for a couple of alcoves either side of a fireplace. I checked the vertical allignment with a laser level and they are pretty damned straight.

I'm tempted to just order the doors to the size of the alcove, screw 18mm plywood sheet to the wall either side, paint the edges and put some stud across for the shelves. This would maximize my storage area in the cupboards, but feels like a bit of a botch. It's a botch nobody will see while the doors are shut though! It potentially leaves me with a plywood edge that will look different to a standard kitchen unit. Then I'd need to find some kind of strip to hide it, if it bothered me.

Decisions, decisions....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back