Cut polycarbonate sheet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been re-glazing my ancient greenhouse with 3mm clear polycarbonate. I ordered some pre-cut panels for the awkward bits but there's one that I still need to cut from a spare square panel. Is this best tackled with a hacksaw or can it be scored with a Stanley knife and then broken off? I have nightmares when I remember trying both methods with some clear plastic sheet I got from a shed.

Sponsored Links
Genuine polycarbonate can be cut or planed - a hacksaw or backsaw will be fine. Expect some chipping if you put it through a circular saw.
It doesn't like scoring and snapping though! Keep the plastic flat and well held down.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I cut some last week with my 10.8v bosch mini grinder with a multi blade, and it cut pretty clean.

I have tried the score and snap method, it just cracked...

I ended up using my Japanese (pull) saw.

Which ever method you choose it's imperative to make sure it is securely held down flat along the full length of the cut line.
If it starts to judder when cutting then stop and weight it down more.

Block plane, very fine set iron to minimise the cut. Edge cuts only, though. I find the modern block planes with very thick irons, such as the Veritas, work better, possibly because being thicker their irons are stiffer

Last edited by a moderator:
3mm sheet can be planed without issues, especially if you can support it well.
I actually prefer to cut it with a toothed blade - a thin disc will work ok but can melt it's way through if done too fast.

I think you are talking about Perspex? I was under the impression the op was asking how to cut polycarbonate sheets! that's why I'm confused (n)

Last edited:
Polycarbonate and acrylic (perspex) have many similar properties in sheet form - polycarbonate has greater flexibility than acrylic, which is prone to shattering.
The flexibility property does allow it to scratch easily however.....bus shelter windows were made from polycarbonate that traded under the name of Vandalite as they were almost impossible to shatter.
Working wise, both may be sawn and planed.....polycarb will give a smooth curly shaving whereas acrylic will produce shavings that split readily - often corners will chip off too. Acrylic takes a better polish.
Both have moderate U/V resistant properties, especially if dark coloured and both may be deformed by heating.

Thanks guys. I did it with the hacksaw and the advice about having the sheet very flat and still was good. Mrs V. did her diving pose and flattened the sheet down on the garden table while I sawed. It wasn't a perfect cut but not too bad. The problem then came when I used those awful glazing clips to fix the cutout into the greenhouse. I had ordered 3mm polycarbonate and it was very hard to fix onto the glazing bars - only noticed afterwards that the company does 2mm. The greenhouse was totally glazed with glass (from the 1970s) which isn't allowed these days. I only really realised this when a magpie crashed into the roof and brought two panels down. (It survived). About 15 panels still to replace!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back