Cutting back chrome plated copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What's the best way to do this?

I have to cut the last 25mm of chrome away, to leave just the copper showing for the incoming supply connection to my shower unit.

Struggling to do this with the usual mini pipe cutter I use all the type for cutting copper pipe.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
File or sandpaper (wet or dry, emery cloth/tape) the chrome plating off the tube.The plating is very thin, but a lot harder than the copper.

Put a few turns of electrical tape around the pipe where you don't want to clean the chrome off, and it will give you a guide to work to and stop you scratching the pipe where it shows.

Hey,
there is a new thing out, its called a pipe preparation tool. It looks like a pipe slice but instead of having a cut out where the pipe goes in, its a full circle. Inside you can either have blades or brushes.

I have only used the brushes up to now and there amazing! Very very handy! I believe that the blades do a fantastic job of removing chrome.

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back