Cutting hedge down to size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hedge i have in the front garden has grown to high now and wish to cut about 30cm from the top to keep it nice and tidy. There was a small fence under the hedge with has now rotted/broken away leaving gaps underneath to the front road meaning litter etc blowing into the garden..

I want either to cut the hedge down as above and erect some sort of small barrier at the bottom of the hedge to make it look tidy and also to stop litter etc getting in......OR
To uplift the hedge completely and replace with a different more compact type with the fence/barrier if possible.
Any advice please as to whats best to do, whats tools to cut down hedge, any substance to kill off roots etc etc

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
believe it or not a hedge trimmer works wonders.

I would opt for this as ripping out old plant is a pain (you have to dispose of it too)

why not install a small picket fence?

The hedge trimmer only seems to give it a shave not cut through the thicker branches, i need something more powerful as i want to cut a good bit off it

you didnt say that was your problem , you can see the hedge i cant.

use a saw then, cheaper than getting the hedge trimmer / chainsaw thing from black and decker

Sponsored Links
we just used a chainsaw on our hedge, the hedgetrimmer wouldnt touch it

a year later and it looks great :) and a much better size too

A Chainsaw will to the trick, take a little more than the 30cm because it will grow to the desired height and then you can keep it in trim with a hedge trimmer, it will also give it a chance to thicken out at the top, otherwise it will always be bare.

Give the sides a good trim and then erect a fence made from chicken wire tight up against the hedge. The hedge will soon grow through and you won't see the wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back