cutting hole and repair of fibreglass flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Ive bought a house that needs a new ceiling extractor fan fitted in the downstairs toilet. Above this is a fibreglass flat roof. Unfortunatley the extractor pipe is only about 70mm and all extractors are 100mm. Therefore i need to take out the 70mm pipe and fit 100mm pipe which means i will need to cut roof and reseal the new hole. What is the best way to do this. Is it a practical DIY job or will I need a professional?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Ive bought a house that needs a new ceiling extractor fan fitted in the downstairs toilet. Above this is a fibreglass flat roof. Unfortunatley the extractor pipe is only about 70mm and all extractors are 100mm. Therefore i need to take out the 70mm pipe and fit 100mm pipe which means i will need to cut roof and reseal the new hole. What is the best way to do this. Is it a practical DIY job or will I need a professional?

Thanks in advance.
Just cut an hole through fibreglass and boards,fit pipe flashing,secure edges with clout nails,Then seal(ensure clean/dry) with either t/o felt(prime first) or more suitable for yourself acrypol,no primer required(DONT USE "CHEAP" PAINT ON COMPOUNDS,THEY DONT LAST).Either way will last many many years.A compotent DIYer could carry this out no problem. ;)

Better still go to Halfords buy a fibreglass repair kit you get the resin matt and catalyst about £5.00 enough to do 1m2
Cut your hole in the roof fix your pipe
Sand down the existing grp surface around the pipe laminate with the fibreglass kit
no nails no mess easy to do
You can get basic GRP instructions CFS supplies online

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back