Fibreglass roof - incorrectly edged?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am looking for advice on the best way to repair a fibreglass roof. I have moved to a place with a single story extension with a fibreglass roof. I was aware that there has been some damp on the ceiling side when I bought the house, and am now looking to fix it. I have never worked on a flat roof before, but to me it seems like the edge of the fibreglass could benefit with a lip/roof trim so that the water doesn't run down the join between the fibreglass and wall. I believe this join is where the water is getting in (see photos for details). Where the water has leaked in, the render is starting to detach (although this is fairly localised). In general, the roof is in ok condition - there are no visible cracks, not too much pooling, etc. It seems to be just the edging.

DSC07021_zpsvefj0xq0.jpg

DSC07046_zpsidrnsegi.jpg

DSC07015_zpsudgcfbvz.jpg

What do people think? Some kind of sealant? Attach roof trim? Long term I appreciate that it will need replacing, but I want a solution that will be good for 5 or so years without too much expenditure.

Many thanks,

Olly

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Find a local fibre glass roofing supplier and purchase a drip edge trim
and a tube of trim adhesive.

Find a local fibre glass roofing supplier and purchase a drip edge trim
and a tube of trim adhesive.

Thanks for the reply catlad. Do you reckon that the trim adhesive will form a waterproof seal, stopping any water getting underneath? I suspect the run-off from the flat top bit may go in the direction of the edge and don't want it to go under the drip trim.

Any recommendations for which brand of trim adhesive, or are they all the same?

Sponsored Links
If you feel like fibre glassing it afterwards then ask the supplier for a roll of bandage and a litre of resin+hardener , tell them what you plan to do and
they will supply you with what you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back