cutting hole in corrugated roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,
I am thinking of changing the kitchen and one thing that I would like to add is an extractor fan.
The current kitchen is built in an extension on the house with a sloping corrugated plastic roof. The construction of the roof is a double layer with a frosted flat plastic layer on the inside and a corrugated plastic layer on the outside. I cannot site the extractor fan so that the duct goes through a wall as I have a terrace house. The wall at the back of the kitchen is also not possible.
So that leaves me with wondering how to cut and seal a hole in a corrugated plastic roof.
Or would it be easy to replace the roof? The roof is supported by wooden beams about 6feet apart in one direction and 4 feet in the other.
Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Wierd setup you have there. I would've thought that plastic (polycarbonate?) roofing doesn't meet standards for a proper kitchen. Is this a new kitchen that's been installed in a lean to addition without regs?

Anyway, making a hole in the roof, especially a corrugated one is asking for trouble (leaks) Why can't you go through the back wall. It must be possible to run some ducting along a side wall or something.

Thanks for the reply Deluks, the kitchen was installed in the seventies I think. All the house in my road are the same so I assume that it was OK at the time. Some have changed them to glass over the years but it has not caused me any problems since I have been in the house.
Any way I have solved the problem - use an extractor that recycles the air through a filter.

Thanks again
Andrew

Sponsored Links
andrew299 said:
Thanks for the reply Deluks, the kitchen was installed in the seventies I think. All the house in my road are the same so I assume that it was OK at the time. Some have changed them to glass over the years but it has not caused me any problems since I have been in the house.
Any way I have solved the problem - use an extractor that recycles the air through a filter.

Thanks again
Andrew

That'll do (don't forget to change the filters ;) ) only thing is it won't provide ventilation. do you have any air vents anywhere or anything? I can imagine when cooking that steam will condensate on the underside of the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back