Cutting hole in garage floor for drainage pipes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut a trench in my garage floor in order to install a 110mm soil pipe for a new WC. The house is 12 years old and the garage floor is 4" reinforced concrete with a DPC under. The main issue is how to make good the DPC on completion?

Sponsored Links
The best method is to cut out the required width of channel right through, break it up and remove it. Then make a second cut maybe 4 inches wider on both sides but only cut this to 3 inches deep or 3 1/2 if you dare. Then break this part off with a bolster and it should hopefully break off but not damage the dpm. then you have 4 inches of exposed undamaged dpm which you can lay in a new piece lapping and taping the joint with buytl adhesive tape or denso tape.

A few words of caution.

Make sure you cut the channel wide enough so your vibrating plate will fit into to compact the trench. It is VITAL that you make the it wide enough to dig the trench without undermining the surround concrete floor.

Also make sure you break out and remove the centre section of concrete before making the secondary cuts or the extra 4 inch section will probably break off as you try to remove the middle.

Lastly when replacing the concrete drill some steel pegs (off-cuts of rebar) into the existing slab half way up and sticking out 4 inches as this will reduce the cracking between the old and new.

Good luck and be cautious and gentle or you can easily get into a situation where you have to keep chipping off more and more to get an undamaged section of dpm.

Not arguing with that reply ;) But - it`s a garage , not a habitable room. I would keep the trench one width . tamp with an old fashioned hand tamper :oops: and seal with synthaprufe ;) keep the job simple

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back