CWT By law kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone explain the idea of the dip tube on the overflow that comes with the by law kit for the cold water tank? I have just found out that when testing an overflow situation, it syphons the water level down past the correct water level.

What would be the correct setup for this?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I cut the overflow hole just below the inlet .. the dip tube is there to syphon the water to a safe level !!

I cut the overflow hole just below the inlet .. the dip tube is there to syphon the water to a safe level !!

Is it a problem to let it syphon past the set water level of the ball valve or should the dip tube be cut to syphon....but not as much as the water level, in other words should the dip tube dip into the correct water level or just above?

Many thanks

If its syphoning then its installed incorrectly.
The dip tube is there to prevent cold draughts entering inside the cistern.

Sponsored Links
as long as the ball valve shuts the water off then should be fine ;)

I suppose I was thinking that once a syphon situation had initiated, the water level would syphon below standard level which would allow the mains water to enter the tank causing a continous syphon situation, providing of course that the mains coming in could keep up with the syphon! (unlikely I know)!

I know of course that if there were a real fault with the ball valve it would syphon over and over again!

It should only initiate if the ball valve fails so sounds like you've done it right buddy ;)

Thanks GasMan 1965

Balenza seems to think that it should not siphon at all!

Could anyone else confirm that it definitely should syphon!

Could anyone else confirm that it definitely should syphon!

I would think if the water level kept rising, yes. :D
surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back