cylinder not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New Year's Eve, of all days!
Anyway, the problem arose this afternoon. The downstairs boiler is working fine, roaring away, and the central heating is also working fine. However, the hot water, which has been on for three hours now, is stone cold. Went up to check the cylinder and it's cold. I adjusted the thermostat on the side of the cylinder to 65C but it's not doing anything. Any idea what this means?

Happy New Year btw. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Have you a motorised valve, closing off the hot water supply to the cylinder coil? Did you hear the cylinder stat click as you adjusted it?
John :)

There is a motorised valve, replaced just last year. The stat didn't click, no.
Just turned off the CH to see if the motorised valve switches across. The cylinder seems to have an immersion in the back top area but that isn't doin anything. Maybe it's an old one, disconnected?

Normally you would hear the stat click as it switches, but I'm sure there are near silent ones....with the stat turned up from down you should feel the motorised valve whirr as it opens. Its possible to move them to manual by using the lever on the side.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi john. Good news. My jiggling about must have freed something up. the water's heating now! Think maybe the stat's on its way out though. Cheers and happy new year!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back