Damp around hearth - what to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20191006_151658.jpg IMG_20191006_151702.jpg

Hi, I have just noticed that that we appear to have some damp around the edges of a hearth in our sitting room. I am quite worried about it and want to sort it asap. Any ideas whats going on here and what to do next ?

Sponsored Links
my guess is that the hearth was reduced in size at some point and screed used to fill in / finish the floor. Screed is drawing moisture up from below.
I had rotten floorboards and joists around a hearth in my house, couldn't see any other cause of damp other than rising damp through the hearth. I removed my whole chimney and hearth down to floor, but don't suppose that is the sort of solution you are looking for!

Well, we dont want to remove anything if possible :). However, I think the only way to get decent look at it is to remove a couple of boards and then maybe replace the hearth etc. This room is also the only ground floor room with joists & boards so maybe its worth checking out the air vents etc and ensuring that there is decent airflow. Just to note, this hearth has been in place for decades, we have been here for a few years and this is the first time I have seen this - what could have changed ?

It's been very wet recently.

Sponsored Links
OP,
why not post pics of the full hearth/chimney breast?
dont remove any boards - just carefully examine all around the chimney breast at skirting level - look for damp stains or shadows - look for stained/rusty nail heads in the flooring.
but most important is to use the search box for "damp around hearths" - then read down the results.
what you have looks like rising damp coming up from damp hearth infill soil.

have you crawled under the floor?
do you have plenty of clean air bricks supplying underfloor vetilation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back