Damp bricks above DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest what's going on here.

I've got some damp bricks above the DPC.

This far, the DPC has been checked. Cavity (cavity filled) checked for pipes, bridging etc. Cavity insulation was damp, but interior bricks felt dry.

Cavity was then reinsulated with rock wool week ago for the disturbed insulation understanding it was condensation on the external bricks.

Interior (kitchen) had damp initially controlled as this is where cooker, condensing tumble drier and washing machine are placed.

No leaks checked via water meter.

This is gable end (no gutters) North facing so no sun

Attachments

• 8011420215985083515.jpg
    8011420215985083515.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20230203_100910146.jpg
    PXL_20230203_100910146.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
OP,
Do you mean a local area of the cavity was "reinsulated with rockwool" - or do you mean the whole house had rockwool CWI blown in?
Was some kind of previous CWI removed?
Who has been advising you on these issues?

Could you post pics of any signs of damp penetration or condensation on the interior plaster surfaces?

OP,
Do you mean a local area of the cavity was "reinsulated with rockwool" - or do you mean the whole house had rockwool CWI blown in?
Was some kind of previous CWI removed?
Who has been advising you on these issues?

Could you post pics of any signs of damp penetration or condensation on the interior plaster surfaces?
There was a loose fibreglass type insulation blown in 2008.

Builder removed thermalite blocks to check for pipes and the existing CWI came out, hence rockwool inserted in it's replacement before blocking back up.

I understand the external patch was after severe heavy rain we had in December and corner of house taking the brunt of it and noticed it last month and has not got better.

I'm wondering if the insulation that's below the DPC maybe absorbing water up, as what came out was damp? It's just odd that the external DPC bricks are dry as commented by builder.

Damp proofing company I spoke to said see if it has dried in two months or to call back.

Last edited:
The pics I mentioned would help?
The CWI inserted was presumably Rockwell slabs to replace the loose CWI?
Your exterior pic brickwork shows no signs of blow holes for blown CWI - blow holes are opened at fixed intervals & some should show in your pic?
I suspect that the original blown CWI is or was the culprit but other variables are unknown?

Sponsored Links
Your exterior pic brickwork shows no signs of blow holes for blown CWI -
I suspect that the original blown CWI
Blown from the inside when built - before drylining/plastering ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back