Damp Cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on this.

Basically I live in an end of terrace house and which has quite a bad damp problem in cellar, anything left in there goes mouldy or rusty.

The floor and walls were mouldy in the corner which on the outside is next to a bit of land at the end of house. I used Wickes Bitumen paint on this area and it seems to be dry but there is still things going mouldy maybe not as bad as before but now there is a puddle in the corner on top of this paint but I cant see where it is coming from as the walls appear to be dry.

Any advice on what this could be and how I can stop it?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
It is quite possibly a combination of damp and condensation. You could probably do with increasing ventilation down there as a first step to help with the latter but if that doesn't solve it resolving penetrating damp is a bigger undertaking.

How can i find out what kind of damp it? Can it still penetrate through the paint and if so why are the walls not wet just a puddle on the floor?

Without having the cellar 'tanked', then you are fighting a loosing battle. Mother nature will win every time.

The next thing to do is get some quotes to have the cellar tanked. Make sure you have enough head height, other wise it might not be worth doing.

Andy

Sponsored Links
So do you think it could only be penetrating damp? But penetrating from where as the walls are dry its just the puddle on the floor.

It could be running down the wall (behind the bitumen paint) and onto the floor?

Andy

yea you maybe right, the floor isn't properly sealed in the corners between wall and floor, maybe another coating? Or some plastic sheeting then layer of cement over it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back