Damp Cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, id be grateful if someone could give me a bit of advice with a damp cellar.

The cellar had been concreted over sine building had been built.
The wood holding the concrete was completely rotten.
The concrete floor had to be replaced with a timber floor.
Once replaced it was closed off again, but the cellar floor was left as bare soil.
Over a period of 2 years this caused condensation and the floor became wet, frequently had water dripping from the joists.
Sharp sand, damp proof membrane and paving slabs were placed down.
This has stopped any water coming up from the ground and the joists are no longer wet and dripping.

I understand the reason the floor had become rotten was due to condensation and a lack of air but as its completely underground its very hard to install any ventilation. Ive recently got a heat recovery unit but I dont think its providing enough air as the cellar is rather large.

However some slabs are drying out but most seem to be still wet. But when they are lifted the underside are dry. My guess is that they are wet due to damp coming in from the walls, I've placed some damp proof membrane half way up the wall returning to it after a day and pulling it forwards i can see that the membrane has water droplets all over it. This means that there's a problem with damp on this wall yes? I'm guessing penetrating damp as this wall is underground and is I think approx 19" thick.

I've tried explaining what the problem is, Id be grateful if someone could provide any advice on what to do next, ive had suggestions of tanking slurry. I did have a builder or 2 tell me damp proof membrane should solve the problem but i don't think it has.

Sponsored Links
just get it all tanked out sorted
Tanking costs are quite high.
As a experiment I put some damp proof membrane on the walls that are directly underground, this has resulted in the floor starting to dry out strangely enough.
Would be grateful for any advice. What's the best thing to spray on timber joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back