Damp Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a dpc installed last week - by injection - and all the walls completely replastered - every wall dry except an area of around a metre squared which is patchy and is wet to touch? Would be grateful if anyone could advise me.

Sponsored Links
Whereabouts on the wall is the patch - floor level, or ceiling level? Does it coincide with anything - such as windows, raised ground level, chimney, guttering downpipe etc?

A photo of inside and outside might help.

Gary

One thing for sure, walls do not dry in a week. The rule of thumb for drying out masonry is about 25mm per month. If your wall is 250mm thick it will take about 10 months to dry - or maybe 5 months assuming drying in both directions.

That's all notional of course. It depends how damp the wall was. Chances are, if the wall is dry after a week or two, it wasn't very damp in the first place.

What you probably mean is that the plaster is drying. That leaves two scenarios; The plaster used is waterproof and the wall beneath is still damp. In that case the problem you have is that the waterproofing in the area of your damp patch has failed. Second is that the plaster is not waterproof and the wall beneath was never damp in the first place except in the area that is still damp. In that case you will just have to wait 5 months for it to dry. (assuming of course the problem has been cured and it does dry?)

99 times out of a hundred, dampness is due to some external source - such as poor detailing or sealing around window frames, leaking gutters and downpipes etc. Abutting walls and raised external gound levels are also common culprits. Look for anything like that before you spend any more money.

If you have some sort of guarantee for the work you had done you should obviously get them back and ask for a comment as well.

Hi Gary, Thanks for your message - its on a ground level wall, its a solid wall (house 1800's) - the whole of that wall has gone a milky plaster (dried/drying) apart from the patch at the end of the wall - although not at the very end as there is wood panelling for about a metre after that which would be the gable end, but its the end of the plastering if you see what I mean. Its probably about a metre squared (not dead square of course). It just seems strange that above it is milky plaster and drying nicely and all the other wall has also - and all the other walls in the room are drying nicely, its just that bit. Its the fact also that its wet to touch? - The radiator is on that wall on timed, would that cause it to be wet? No cracks anywhere to the plaster so its not dried out too quick or anything - may be that bit is just gonna take longer to dry? On the outside wall its just a flat wall - no windows and its about a metre away from the gable end - chimney on the other side of the house - there is a cellar under neath that bit, could it be that?
Im sure the chap will come back out who did it - just thought I would gather some information before I ring so I can be more sure of what it could be.

Sarah

Sponsored Links
Hi Jeds,

Thanks for your post. Have a look at what I said to gary see what you think -The main of the damp was right at the other end of the wall actually on the gable end - connecting onto the chimney wall - although the chimney wall wasn't damp. The area is at the bottom of the wall - above it is dry/drying so from skirting board up - but before it was done the wall was emulsioned and it wasn't bad like it was at the other end - very strange - its because its wet too that is concerns me - does it usually have wetness to it? The other parts didnt as they have been drying out?

Sarah

As I said Sarah, walls will take several months to dry properly after being damp. What I'm curious about is what was causing the damp in the first place. What is on the outside of the wall - i.e. the external finish?

Hiya John, theres nothing attached - the house is detatched - its brick - solid wall - no cavity - house is 1800's and its rendered - the whole house - the front has two extensions (1985ish) - also rendered and they are fine - do you think it could be something to do with that?
Sarah

A possibility is moisture trapped behind the render. This is a common cause especially if the render is sand/cement and/or waterproofed. It is impossible to keep moisture from getting behind the render and if it is as above then it is just preventing the moisture from evaporating off.

Thanks very much for all your advice then John, I have rang the dpc installation guy and he's coming out next week to have a look - hopefully it may have started to dry out a bit for next week!!

Sarah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back