damp disaster!

Is the neighbour open to idea of the problem being addressed, albeit not at his own expense, ie would he have a problem if you did the necessary works, obviously requiring access onto his property and some local disturbance to his driveway whilst appropriate works are carried out?

With all you've probably spent so far this approach would have been more appropriate.

ah hindsight! :LOL:

the problem is there is no evidence that the neighbour's drive categorically "is" the cause of the problem, after all, the surveyor said he couldn't say for sure.

The neighbour may be open to my paying to have his drive dug up and lowered but, and I might be being pedantic here but, that's an insane idea. If his drive is the problem, why should I pay (A large sum of money) to have it corrected, -not him? If his drive is not the problem what good would paying to get it lowered do?

Sponsored Links
You are right it is insane. But then you have exhausted the nicey nicey approach and its cost you an arm and a leg in the process. So one could surmise that if just getting on with and fixing it may be cheaper and easier and less stressful in the long run rather than attempting some potentially fruitless and expensive legal battle. Besides you have had a surveyor already tell you he is unwilling to state categorically the driveway is causing the problem and any claim without any professional backing will go nowhere anyway. Or will you just employ endless surveyors until one states the driveway is the problem?

You are right it is insane. But then you have exhausted the nicey nicey approach and its cost you an arm and a leg in the process. So one could surmise that if just getting on with and fixing it may be cheaper and easier and less stressful in the long run rather than attempting some potentially fruitless and expensive legal battle. Besides you have had a surveyor already tell you he is unwilling to state categorically the driveway is causing the problem and any claim without any professional backing will go nowhere anyway. Or will you just employ endless surveyors until one states the driveway is the problem?

I just want the problem resolved and I would even consider paying to have his drive lowered if I thought that would solve the problem. But what happens if I pay a ton of money to get that done and nothing changes? What happens if the guy says no?

I appreciate the advice but I just think it's too risky an option.

Iam gona have to agree with Freddy,

I generally dont get into this arguments with neighbours.. I just do whatever its needed to fix the problem.

If his drive is wide enough, maybe as a fix or somwthing dig all the drive up near your house and have a brick layer make a small wall or something similar to that.

This way the drive keeps height and you form a type of cavity between the soil and stuff and your house..

Sponsored Links
Iam gona have to agree with Freddy,

I generally dont get into this arguments with neighbours.. I just do whatever its needed to fix the problem.

If his drive is wide enough, maybe as a fix or somwthing dig all the drive up near your house and have a brick layer make a small wall or something similar to that.

This way the drive keeps height and you form a type of cavity between the soil and stuff and your house..

But what happens if I pay a ton of money to get that done and nothing changes?
I appreciate the advice but I just think it's too risky an option.

oh well.... since your not taking anyone advice ... i hope you get smelly mould as well as damp :mrgreen:

oh well.... since your not taking anyone advice ... i hope you get smelly mould as well as damp :mrgreen:

you seem to be confused, and I don't really know what to say since you don't seem to actually be reading/understanding what I've written.

I took ALL the advice on this thread. I got an independent surveyor round. The surveyor said "I can't tell for sure if it's your neighbour causing the problem or not."

Now the advice seems to be "pay to get the neighbours drive lowered". Of course, no one giving that advice knows whether or not that will solve the problem. That is, you're advising me to spend (a huge amount of) money on a solution to a problem that may not work.

To be even clearer -if I knew, for a fact that the drive was causing the problem, I would consider paying for the drive to be done, but we have NO evidence to back that claim up. actually if KNEW it was the neighbours drive I'd take him to court, -but as I don't know that and have no way of proving that, this is not a viable option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back