Damp Down Wall Join

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I are in the process of stripping wall paper and we've come across a wall join that is wet.

I've searched but can't find anything that is similar.

Where two walls join in the ground floor living room, down the crease/seam is dirty and wet. Outside of this area is dry, it is purely down the join. It is dirty but not in a spot/mould kind of way.

This is on the inner joining wall of a semi-detached property at the back of the house. So basically where our central adjoining wall meets our back wall. Behind this is a conservatory

Also, above this area in the above bedroom there is a crack that is about 1mm thick and about 600mm long that runs into the floor.

If you get a tissue to it it sticks and absorbs water ever so slightly.

I've tried to attach an image. Unfortunately, i have none of the crack as we filled it and painted it until we stripped downstairs today to see this issue.

Can anybody offer any insight?

59785972688__EF7D8021-51B9-47FB-BFDF-604D2F7485F9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
photos of that corner from outside/the other side of the walls at ground floor and first floor levels will help.
so will a photo of the upstairs bedroom wall - even though its been made good.
and a pic of the conservatory roof where it meets the house.

the corner bead on the door reveal looks to be rusty - is that the case?

looks like you have two different types of skirting - has any damp proofing work taken place on either wall?
are the walls cavity walls?

Here is the full length view of downstairs (nothing on ceiling)
6C4A3203-8B3B-4855-A9C6-D613DCE6E11C.jpeg

Here is the bedroom directly above where I’ve drawn the line for a hairline crack
4488813F-2DC7-4419-BE53-9CAC9923DEAA.jpeg

Here is the conservatory where I can’t find any obvious issues

Sponsored Links
suddenly we have two conservatories that could be causing damp difficulties - step flashing and gable bars are in position but there's a dark looking area of brickwork lower down the wall. how that would affect your difficulties i dont know but its in the pic? dark in remedial work typically suggests damp.
both you and your neighbour will have had knock-throughs when the sliders were installed - perhaps there's been some movement or cavity trays are badly installed or missing: i dont see any weep vents near the step flashing?

on each wall plumb lines set back 300mm from the inside corner, and hack off back to brick inside these lines - this will show far more than the plaster damage we can now see.

there are still unanswered questions from my first post?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back