Damp floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought this bungalow last year. Had a flooring contractor lay a new laminate floor in the hallway that has now started to distort. Called them back, they removed a plank and put a hygrometer sealed to the floor. It showed a max of 95% RH over 24 hours. Told me the floor would have to be ripped up and thrown away.

It was built around 1960. Concrete floor which they laid a self levelling floor screed. It was uneven and had some sort of bitumous compound under the carpet when we lifted it. The area is the centre of the building with no radiators nearby. Mains water is also several metres away. I've done a 'drop test' that showed no water passing the meter for over an hour. It's a combi boiler that's shown no loss of pressure since service in June. Gutters, bargeboard and soffits were replaced last year and there's no sign of damp anywhere else.

I've contacted three so-called damp experts (chose those with the best reviews), none of which have bothered to reply. Could they all have been cowboys?

I'd be grateful if someone could suggest how to find someone competent who could advise me how to proceed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back