DAMP HAS JUST APPEARED FOR THE FIRST TIME

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This summer i replaced the lining under the first 4 tiles around the whole house due to rodent problems. Since last night hit -7 (midlands) i woke up to find the plasterwork on the ceilings showing signs of damp. My bedroom ceilings have a 45 degree slope ending on the window wall in all bedrooms. Its this slope which have signs of damp. I had the loft insulated 6 months ago but was told the 45 degree slope wouldnt have any protection because it would block the airflow into the loft. Could the fact the temp hitting -7 simply just froze any condensation which may have been on the slope?

Whilst im at it, is there any form of insulation which can be used to form some kind protection on 45 degree slope.

Please look at picture for greater understanding, located at: //www.diynot.com/network/par1sons/albums/

Hope you guys can help

If you could email me any info that would be a great help

Sponsored Links
When you say you replaced the roof lining did mean you replaced the felt underneath the tiles and how did you do it ?

By the sound of it you have sloping ceilings at the eave, rigid insulation is generally the method to use there, placed over the sloping ceiling between the rafters, 50mm thinner than the rafter depth to allow a vent gap

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I simply replaced the old 'felt'. I stripped all the timber off so i could roll one continuous line of felt from one end of the house to the other and tucked it under the next row of felt and then put down new battening.

I have a very good understanding of a lot of DIY stuff as im a tight arse but this problem has got me confused.

Rigid insulation sounds good to me. Time to get the wallet out, lol

Sponsored Links
Q1 When you replaced a strip of felt did you lap the felt above over the new inserted felt?

Q2 why should it "leak" at this point only? Is there a valley or a hip or something breaking the roof plane( eg a pipe or velux) at this point in the roof?

Q3 roof "leaks" can enter far from where they show up below. Any plumbing above in loft?

4 it might not be a leak but condensation. Anyhow, the points about 50mm air-gap above any insulation are most pertinent.

5 If you go up and remove tiles, check carefully, take pics and report back here.

Q1: new felt was tucked under existing (2nd row) felt, so any water running down from the ridge would flow into the gutter.

Q2: roof is standard semi detached with apex to the side of both houses. No velux or pipework.

Q3: plumbing in loft is for the shower but no leaks on joints or within the surrounding area of the pipework

Q4: I'm thinking it is condensation because its never been seen before on the ceilings and the fact its in all bedrooms lends me to think its condensation.
This ridge insulation looks expensive. Do you know the cheapest place to get it?

Q5: I'm not planning on going on the roof at the mo especially given the weather at present, lol.

Again thanks for your feedback, its very much appreciated.

Andy

Warm moist air in the house rising and condensing on the coldest surface. Any water on the window cills? Any window vents, any roof/soffett vents?
Can you get at the problem area from in loft and feel the felt for wetness?

Hi all,

This summer i replaced the lining under the first 4 tiles around the whole house due to rodent problems. Since last night hit -7 (midlands) i woke up to find the plasterwork on the ceilings showing signs of damp. My bedroom ceilings have a 45 degree slope ending on the window wall in all bedrooms. Its this slope which have signs of damp. I had the loft insulated 6 months ago but was told the 45 degree slope wouldnt have any protection because it would block the airflow into the loft. Could the fact the temp hitting -7 simply just froze any condensation which may have been on the slope?

Hope you guys can help

If you could email me any info that would be a great help
Yes you are spot on with your diagnosis - unfortunately you didn`t put the rigid insulation in @ the time - same job as I`m going to do here @ home in the spring , as it happens ;) You might be able to slide some down the gap from inside the loft - and wack it down against the back of the ceiling with a broom handle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back