Small amount of water in loft!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys first post so be gentle, me and the wife have purchased a three bedroom semi and the loft has been converted, albeit cheaply, Either side of the loft we have access to eaves, Firstly I noticed a stain appearing on the loft sloped ceiling and then a few patches on the wall where the chimney breast is, Im assuming this is down to either poor render on the chimney or failed flashing.!! This is being looked at next week, Secondly and what im not sure about is that in one of the eaves there is a half hearted attempt to insulate the sloping beams or rafters ( not sure of terminology), I noticed a patch of damp on a bit of wood that was just lying underneath and when I touched the insulation it dripped a little!! After pulling out the insulation I touched the felt type stuff underneath and made a hole, Im wondering wether the damp entering is due to the felt being holed or is it a tile issue!? All the rafters seem to be relatively dry, If anyone could help me out with some advice I would be grateful, Just dont want my eaves to leak and damage the rafters. I can provide photo's if nessecary!! Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the roof covering tiles,slates etc need attention and let the water through the felt catches it and is then supposed to drain down the felt and into the gutter.
If you have a hole in the felt then the rain water will drip through.

It may be condensation though! the eaves beyond the room do not need to be insulated and should have ventilation.

Thanks, So im guessing a couple of the roof tiles need replacing, When the guys are on the roof next week I will get them to have a look, Do you not insulate the eaves then?, I have noticed it is quite cold up in the loft conversion, anyway to combat this if Im not supposed to insulate rafters!.?

The rafters and walls which encapsulate the conversion should be insulated,
Beyond the capsule of the insulated space is vented space and by design should be cold and airy.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, i dont know much about roofs so dont understand a great deal about the picture but I get the fact that all round the conversion should be insulated and the roof rafters left alone to create air flow. The backs of the walls that make up the conversion dont have anything so will definatly do that. Getting a load of guttering done and rendering of a parapet wall done next week so will get them to check the rest of the roof as well. Thanks guys! P.s if anybody is stuck on cars thats my forte!! I'll be over at that forum section

P.s if anybody is stuck on cars thats my forte!! I'll be over at that forum section
Welcome Warchild - good to have some more Sussex bods ;) Cars , particularly modern :evil: ones - will be great to have another knowlegeable poster. ( warchild 75 - reference to a Tull album ?)

P.s if anybody is stuck on cars thats my forte!! I'll be over at that forum section
Welcome Warchild - good to have some more Sussex bods ;) Cars , particularly modern :evil: ones - will be great to have another knowlegeable poster. ( warchild 75 - reference to a Tull album ?)

Hi Nige, Not sure what a tull album is, No I am a big gaming fan and its my gamertag on xbox!!, currently an mot tester but worked for peugeot for 8 years before that!

Different generation M8 ;) Jethro Tull 70`s album - War Child . Even better that you worked on Peugeots - we`ve got a 2008 207 - all I can do to it is check the fluid levels and tyre pressures :oops: But that`s all we need to do at the moment . However as it gets older ........ Used to fix my cars when they were built in the 60s 70`s and maybe 80`s - soon as computers got fitted to them I was lost :LOL: . My son plays a lot on Call of Duty on some kind of box ;) I couldn`t even work Mario Kart when he was a nipper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back