Changing open to closed eaves on my outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I've got a brick outhouse in my garden with a slate roof. Want to use it more for storing things, thing is it gets very cold and damp in the winter. It's unheated.

It currently has open eaves and despite there being a bit of boarding on the inside on top of the brick wall to stop you seeing outside, but there's a real draught coming through. I wondered if converting it to closed eaves would help with the insulation? But l also wondered if that is not a good idea because in houses they say you need ventilation - but then houses have heating...

Currently under the sloping roof inside there's just felt and the rafters. No insulation or plasterboard. Guess there's not much point putting that in when it remains unheated.

Thanks for help!

Sponsored Links
It won't cost much in terms of time or money to box in the eaves with a couple of planks and cut down the draughts. What l don't want to do is cause other problems like moisture. I don't think it will, but l don't want to be wrong.

Sponsored Links
It wont do any harm boxing in the eaves there will still be plenty of ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back