Damp Hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am in the process of putting a fireplace back in and found the soil / rubble to make the original constructional hearth is damp (photo attached).

The joist end on the left has some rot on the back corner going back an inch or so, it is only a small area and I dont believe this will be a problem as long as it can be stopped from spread further. There is no mould on it.

The brick on which this joist sits was very damp, there is no slate between the brick and joist.

I have dug out all the soil at the front which was below a concrete cap. Once that was removed there was a flat layer of clay at which I stopped digging. Inside the chimney recess are some old quarry tiles with the same damp soil and rubble below. I will almost certainly remove these quarries and dig out the damp soil and rubble there too.

I believe the damp is most likely coming in through the external wall behind the chimney. There is a concreate path against that wall on the outside above the level of the damp found here.

So aside from digging out the rest of the soil I am not sure what I should do next.

1) I had considered using DPC cream on the back wall but am not convinced that will do much as these the lower courses of bricks are blow the outside ground level.

2) I need to backfill the void to rebuild the hearth, I am wondering if course non permiable gravel would prevent the damp spreading the way it did through the soil?

3) I am not convinced about using a damp proof membrane around the backfill material, i am concerned that any moisture that does end up in there will not be able to escape, and as I plan to use this fire once installed do not think I can run a plastic membrane high enough up the wall without it becoming a problem later on.

4) I could add another line of bricks across the front of the hearth and only backfill the rear portion in the chimney recess and suspend the front part of the hearth to allow better air flow around the joist ends

If anyone could comment on the above or offer any other suggestions I would be most grateful!

Attachments

• IMG_20170905_213403305.jpg
    IMG_20170905_213403305.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 396
Sponsored Links
If the ground level outside is too high, then that needs dealing with first. You need to either lower it along the whole length, or install a french drain with large stones, or a plastic channel drain. But it's got to go down below the DPC to be effective.

No you can't use a plastic DPM up the wall, you'd be better off putting down hardcore, and then a concrete base with damproofer in it.

Put some plastic dpc round the joist, and play safe by treating the end as well.

Hi Doggit,

Thanks for your reply, I was already planning on diging a french drain outside, should have mentioned that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back