Constructional Hearth Guidance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have spent the last few days reading lots of posts on constructional hearths for solid fuel stoves but very little reference to gas fires.

The background: I have bought an 1890's victorian semi which was unoccupied for 16 months and previously rented out. The property suffered a lot of neglect and was damp due to ineffective rain water goods, poor brickwork and failed flashings. This is all rectified so now work begins inside to remove the floordboards and joists. In doing so, I found the concrete hearth of the ground floor living room to be cracked, the first course of bricks loose and lots of damp in this area (possibly made its way down from the failed flashings around the chimney stacks). So I have removed the concrete and subsequent damp rubble and now I'm left with a recess.

I've had new plates with DPM and new joists installed, floorboards will eventually be P5. But what do I do about this hearth, I plan to have a stove effect gas fire here. Do I need to adhere to the same hearth rules as solid fuels?

The old flue will be removed and bricked up, a lower concrete lintel will be installed and bricked above this to reinstate a smaller opening. The finished flooring will be laminate of some sort and a small tiled decorative hearth.

Lots of pictures of the progress attached. Since the last picture I have removed the loose rubble at the top and my gloves/tools of course :D

Attachments

• Fire 1.JPG
    Fire 1.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Fire 2.jpg
    Fire 2.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Fire 3.jpg
    Fire 3.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Fire 4.jpg
    Fire 4.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Fire 5.jpg
    Fire 5.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Have you picked the exact gas fire you want yet- if so, have a read of the installation instructions, it should specify there what type of surface is suitable (and air supply and flue). You can of course get gas fires that don't require a flue but you still need good ventilation (lots of water vapour released when you burn gas as well as CO2).
Constructional hearth probably not required but it may be the most cost-effective setup...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back