Constructional Hearth Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am removing the horrible old gas fire in my house with the intention of a eventually returning an open fire and would like some advice on hearths before I get the flooring redone.

I have read the Building Regulations Document J and think I understand the hearth requirements, I have also looked at BS1251.

I have attached a sketch of my hearth as it is below and basically would like some advice on whether the constructional hearth is adequate.

I know the 500mm requirement for constructional hearths and I am not sure of I meet this with the way the joist rests on the bricks. Do I need to get the end of the floorboards moved back and raid the bricks/concrete up to floor level? I will then build a 300 mm superimposed hearth on top of that.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Research on here - there are recent posts on this very subject. They will direct you to info, pic, diagrams and Regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back