Victorian CONSTRUCTIONAL Hearth? Removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am about to fit a new timber joist floor to this room and wish to build a new constructional hearth to the fireplace (for open fire). The pictures show the existing constructional hearth. My question is...can I remove this without worrying about the chimney structure itself...ie, is it part of the foundations of the chimney stack? The existing hearth is 1" thick concrete set on a heap of loose earth and rubble and brick...which doesn't seem very structurally sound but I wondered if it is anything to do with the chimney support. Look forward to your answers. View media item 68537 View media item 68538

Sponsored Links
Usually the hearth is separate from the chimney breast itself and can be dug out.

Thanks for the reply Tony. I note the hint of caution in your reply, which I understand, as it's difficult to go off 2 photos. Hopefully others will confirm with you. It does look, as you say, that the hearth construction is indeed separate from the chimney...I think it is the fact that the hearth is about 2' above ground level that makes it appear as some sort of foundation to the chimney. I will have another search around before wielding the hammer tho.

I've never seen a hearth that offers structural support to the chimney, always a first though!

From your picture I would imagine that it is safe to remove and replace the hearth.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies you guys. I started the demolition of the hearth, a slight panic when I dug it out as I then realized brick piers stood on it! Panic ring to local builder who told me to prop it up and popped round this morning at 7.30am. He explained the INNER brick piers were infill and not supporting the breast and I should find a steel bar somewhere behind the render. Indeed I did...after a sleepless night. How many times have I read...find where you lintel or support is first!

I now have another question. You will see from the photos the arch bar I found. Though hints of rust, it seems pretty good condition to me...but what do I know! It is 10mm thick and the depth of the bricks...100mm. I can actually feel it inside the breast. Now I could trust that...and now knock out the infill...or subject to your thoughts install a lintel above that as insurance. If this is what you feel is best, will the following be ok...

LINTEL: 1200 X 100 X 65 prestressed concrete...WICKES.

SPAN from brick columns is 940mm.
Column brick width both sides is 225mm.
Lintels come at 1200mm long.

So, installed the lintel will sit on the brick by 135mm, leaving only 90mm of brick on the outside of the Lintel even if I squeeze it in tight (Unlikely!). The WICKES Lintels of this size says 150mm of bearing each side...so 15mm difference!

What would be your advice please.
A/ Do I need new concrete lintel.
B/ Will the spec above work.

Thanks guys.
View media item 68632 View media item 68633
TA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back