Damp/mould problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hop someone can help.

Have a problem with a brick mid terrace house, its seems when the weather starts to get cold, black mouldy patches appear throughout the property, in the kitchen on walls that join the house next door in the bedrooms, its really bad, the walls feel damp but with it being wurse in the winter months I was thinking it could be down to condensation as the roof looks ok but in the loft area there is damp on the insulation but I have put this down to the extractor fan in the bathroom being vented into the loft space :rolleyes:

The damp on the walls that join next door is about 2 foot from the floor so I dont think its rising damp. I am told that all the houses in the row have the same problem in the same areas.

Anyone got any ideas????????? I was thinking that some air bricks might be the answer but where would I put them and how many would I put in?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Venting the bathroom into the loft is completely wrong. It is after all just moving the damp from one place to another, not somehow mysteriously destroying it.

You need to vent it outside.

I would guess that the rest is condensation due to :

1) Insufficient/missing insulation.
2) Insufficient ventilation
3) Insufficient heating
4) Possibly drying clothes inside

You need to make sure that your insualtion dries out because when it is wet, it doesn't insulate.

This is what I thought, its not my house but a house Ive been asked to look at to see if I know why its so mouldy etc, the walls in some rooms are really black. When I visited they had washing drying on the radiators and the windows where steamed up so this made me think it was down to condensation. The tenant in the house wouldn't believe me and thinks the place wants knocking down :rolleyes: :LOL:

I know sorting the bathroom venting into the loft is essential, I'm thinking it will need to go up through the roof as the bathroom is in the middle of the house? Air bricks would still be a good idea though dont you think?

Thanks for the reply

I would suggest proceeding in stages.

If there are any obvious things to correct immediately i.e. blocked air-bricks, blocked trickle-vents, then unblock them.

If there is indoor drying going on, it needs to be stopped. That is , after all , just like the venting into the loft, the moisture in the clothes is not destroyed, just transferred into the room air until it condenses somewhere.

Then re-route the bathroom vent and dry the insulation , but i can't see that being possible until it gets warmer.

Check insulation does not block eaves so that there is also ventilation there above the insulation.

Difficulty with some of the above is that some/lots of people won't accept that ventilation is necessary and will always block vents to keep warmer.

If they do that, opening the windows for 10 minutes twice a day will help to change the air.

Then check for anywhere that can be insulated so that you don't get warm, moist air hitting a cold surface and condensing.

Sponsored Links
you also need to tell them to clean the mold from the walls as, the spores can grow and this will only increase molded area, diluted bleach is the most common household product but wear PPE when doing this.
The mold can cause problems with people that suffer from breathing problems such as asthma

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back