Damp on internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm after a bit of advice about some damp in my kitchen. I've got a 1930's semi which has had a 2 storey extension added onto the back many moons ago (60's I think). The previous owner knocked through the kitchen into this extension leaving about 2 feet of the original wall either side. The corner beads on one side of the new archway are now rusting, (extending about a foot up the wall) & there's a few small patches of damp visible near floor level for about a foot back from the beads . Its just this section of the original external wall where its been knocked through which is now damp so I'm guessing the DPC was damaged in the process. No signs of damp anywhere else in the house & the other side of the archway is fine.

Its been like this for a few years & doesn't seem to be spreading, its just looks terrible. Any advice on the best course of action? Would injecting a damp proofing cream be the best option?

Hope I've explained that clearly enough! Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you had picture to upload it could help!
But by the sounds of it, the best route would be to inject the DPC cream.

No DPC injection is going to help - you don't have a damp problem

Those rusty beads need to be cut out and replaced and all the plaster with rust in it replaced too

Sponsored Links
Champion, I'll have a go at that. Is there anything in particular that can cause the beads to rust like that in one isolated place? Kitchen & living room were all done at the sme time & thats the only spot thats rusted.

Staining seems confined to the area around the beads, and so the most likely explanation is that the beads have had the coating knocked off them, or were just poorly coated and so have rusted, which accelerates the more it rusts

Also, if that is a tumble dryer or washer next to the wall, check for leaks or venting damp air right next to the plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back