Damp or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i am in the process of redoing my new kitchen in my newly bought home

i would just like some advise on the state of the brick work in the pictures below.

after pulling out the corner counter unit i found the corner had been stuffed with what looked like insulation.
20161125_123741.jpg

the insulation was damp and when i removed it all, the exposed brick work was as pictured below
20161127_174838 (1).jpg 20161127_174838.jpg 20161127_174854.jpg 20161127_174901.jpg

after removing the units from above and knocking off tiles and wallpaper it looked like this
20161125_130440.jpg

My question is,
with the brick work been slightly wet, is this likely to be caused by rising damp,
or more caused by condensation dripping down the wall, wetting the insulation
which has then made its way into the brick.
i might add, that the kitchen is easily heated up and is quick to create condensation which i am looking to fix with a proper cooker hood and roof fitted humidity extractor fan

is the state of the brick cause for concern or can i just go ahead and fit the new kitchen units after plastering?

Thanks in advance
Martyn

Sponsored Links
More than likely as you suggest it is just trapped moisture, leave it open for a few days and see if it dries up nicely.

Thanks for replying
Realistically, would it be noticeably dryer after about a week or so?

Rising damp only tends to go up a few feet, so the mould behind the wall units is more likely down to condensation, but it's also possible that the condensation has penetrated the insulation, and settled at the lower points of the wall.

You can't really install the base kitchen units with the walls like that, so you either need too loose lay them whilst the walls dry out (get a dehumidifier) or you need to use safeguard damp wall treatment, then plasterboard the wall, and then skim it.

The upper part of the wall is fine to go ahead with though; just scrape off the wallpaper and mould, give it a good coat of a bleach solution, and a couple of days to dry, and you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a link for a particular product?
Do you apply it to the inside or outside?
Thanks

Thanks for replying
Realistically, would it be noticeably dryer after about a week or so?
I would expect to see a difference within a few days, especially with the heating on this time of year. Unless its an extremely cold spot and just attracts every bit of moisture going.

Drilled holes for an injected DPC are visible - if the wall was injected then its not worked. My limited experience is that injected chemical rarely does work. FWIW the injection line is at the wrong level.
Whatever, the above implies that remedial treatment has been tried & apparently failed.

OP,
Is the wall cavity or solid - does it have CWI - Can you see a membrane at the edge of the concrete slab - Is there a DPC in the wall?
Remove all the units away from the wall and then post pics of the whole wall and the return wall, also pics of the outside/otherside of the walls.

The best practice solution, for both walls, will probably be to knock-off all plaster back to brick, and render with a 4:1 or 3:1 sand & lime mix, stopping 50mm short of the solid floor.
Sometimes its better to only render down to just below the work top, & leave the lower brickwork exposed.

Does the kitchen have a vented drier?
Dont use plaster board or gypsum plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back