Damp problem possibly caused by leaking drain. Any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've lived in our house since 1990 and I’ve had the floor up in places quite a few times over the years and it’s always been the same - as dusty and dry as hell. Having the floor up in places during my kitchen refit I’ve noticed damp dirt and dust along the flank wall as well as a smell of damp. It extends approximately 9” from the wall. I’ve brushed the dirt/dust away and came to what looks like the top of the footings that the flank wall is built on. I’ve never noticed this before, ever. Also, if you look on the underside of one piece of floorboard, you can see traces of slug slime so it’s damp enough for slugs! I’m just wondering if Thames water didn’t make a water tight connection between my cast iron soil stack and the new clay drains they replaced last year - you can see the location of the pipe in the diagram. Any suggestions - get on to Thames Water or my insurance company?

Snail traces
IMG_1579.jpeg

Damp
IMG_1577.jpeg

Diagram showing location of damp and soil stack

IMG_6387.jpeg

Sponsored Links
OP,
Why not post pics of the outside of both the walls in question?
Is there a down pipe and/or gully in the area?
Do any water pipes run in the area of your pic?
Can you show any air bricks on your sketch?
Rusty nails typically indicate a lack of crawl space ventilation & an excess of humid air.
All scraps of wood should be removed from the crawl space.
Did the Utility make the new repairs because you are on a shared sewage system?
Checking the soil pipe or its drain for leakage is simple enough if you can access a manhole or IC.

Checking the soil pipe or its drain for leakage is simple enough if you can access a manhole or IC.
When they renewed the drains, they created an inspection chamber about 5 ft away, in my drive. I’ve been on to them and they are coming out to check the joint with a camera.

It could be possible to do a air pressure test, or maybe a bung at manhole and water test depending on pipework

Sponsored Links
Bung the soil stack where it enters the manhole and use dye in the upstairs toilet.

But hopfully the drain camera will find any problems, make sure you are home and make them tea and biscuits. (y) Ask to see the camera going up the drain line and for them to point out any faults.

Andy

Bung the soil stack where it enters the manhole and use dye in the upstairs toilet.

But hopfully the drain camera will find any problems, make sure you are home and make them tea and biscuits. (y) Ask to see the camera going up the drain line and for them to point out any faults.

Andy
Hmmm. I might have cured it! I found a cracked waste pipe where it goes through the the wall. I replaced that but that was a job and a half! Still going to let Thames Water check it with a camera though.

Last edited:
When they renewed the drains, they created an inspection chamber about 5 ft away, in my drive. I’ve been on to them and they are coming out to check the joint with a camera.
Well they’re working odd hours these days!

IMG_1595.jpeg

Last edited:
They actually turned up just after 8.00 this morning. Checked with a camera and told me everything was fine. I’m pretty sure now it was a cracked sink drain in or right next to the wall. I may have possibly cracked it a year or so ago (the crack was not visible with the old kitchen units in) when I was mucking about fitting a one way valve in case the drain backed up into my sink and then again removing it when the drains were done. I suppose they must get a bit brittle after 25 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back