Damp proof and insulate garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So, garage. Winter is closing in, and it's bloody cold.

I'd like to use it more throughout winter - I have an insulated overall (it's like wearing a duvet!) but still, it's bloody cold out there.

Tomorrow I'll be putting more lighting up after getting some help on the electrical boards but wanting to look into insulation and ideally the absolutely cheapest way of doing it. The outter wall is single skin and has two double glazed windows. The back wall is the same. The garage door itself is rubbish and needs replacing (of course this will come into the warmth of the space but that's another thread I think)

So. I have 19 rows of roof joists, I was hoping to stuff rockwall in there and cover with Loft boards (used on the ceiling instead of the floor) job done?? Or am I at risk of damp?

The outer wall gets damp. I don't know what to do to solve that. My master project is to rebuild the workbench and I really want to get the wall behind sorted properly and insulated - would hate to build the damned thing to regret not insulating. Any advice here? I don't want to just chuck a membrane on the wall as I worry i'm just sandwiching in damp.

Now, I don't want to go nuts - it's a garage! I just want in to be comfortable, nothing more.

I do have a punch bag out there, and weights, as well as the workshop area. I will add a heater later (be another thread) and a couple of wall fans for when summer returns.

So, what do you recommend?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back