should i use insulated plasterboard in the garage??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i live in a coachhouse so the garage is joined to another garage and the other side is my hallway/staircase also ive put an insulated wall infront of the garage door do i need to put insulated plasterboard on that wall aswell? also none of the breeze block walls get damp or anything as it is a new build house even the outside back wall doesent get damp when its really cold outside would this be insulated as my living room is directly above the garage so maybe they insulate the whole wall being a new build? thanks for any tips again?

Sponsored Links
Find your post really confusing. Can you simplify it and just include what is relevant `?

lol sorry, ok should i use insulated plasterboard on my garage walls :D ?? or is normal board ok, and can i dot and dab insulated plasterboard ?

Sponsored Links
It all depends on what thermal conductivity or resistance value you're trying to achieve.
Once you've decided what value you want, then you need to understand what you have already achieved by the new insulated wall. Then decide what additional insulation you need, if any, to achieve your required value.

Experienced builders might know the current requirements and how to achieve that without recourse to calculations.

So tell us what you already have, insulation wise, in that wall.

Do you want to keep the garage warm?
Do you want to keep the house warm?
Is it still going to be a garage?

It is always better to say what you are wanting to achieve, that way you will get better advice

ok, sorry again not sure what thermal value i need best i can get i guess?, i am making the garage into a room so yeh need to keep it warm, as i ive so far finished the insulated flooring and built a double thermalite block wall infront of the garage door with celotex insulation in between the blocks , , also i dont no what insulation the other garage walls have or how to find that out ?

The different walls don't need to have the same thermal value.
What thickness of celotex did you install? Any cavity? What thickness thermalite blocks?
I won't know the answer, but these are the questions that need answering.

i used 75 mm thermalites instead of 100 mm and 30mm celotex with a slight airgap between the first thermalite and the celotex i used this sizes so the wall fit flush against the other walls other wise would have come out to far with any other thickness hope that was ok,

As I said. I don't know the definitive asnwer. I'm sure someone else will. You'll just have to be patient.
I suspect that you ought to use at least 25mm additional insulation on the back of the pb.
My reasoning is that I'm currently constructing an extension. To achieve uptodate insulation I had to use 25mm celotex in the cavity with a minimal 25mm residual space, plus 25mm insulated pb.
This was with 100mm hollow concrete blocks, rendered outside.
Whereas you've used 75mm thermalites, a higher thermal value.

I hope that you have achieved the 25mm residual cavity between the celotex and the outside skin! It's not critical in your application due to the door remaining.

Edited; just edited 'cos I missed out the 'not' , in 'not critical' (last sentence). Apologies to anyone if it looked confusing. :oops:

o really that helps alot if u had to have all that as minimum for uptodate thermal value i may go with the insulated plasterboard anyway to be safe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back